North Shore Methodist Church - Key Dates

Back to index page

  1. A Trust was formed to purchase land bounded by Dickson Road and Cocker Street.
  2. The Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Chapel opened on 3 July 1888.
  3. Kelly’s Directory (Lancashire), page 109, the Places of Worship section includes: 'Wesleyan, Dickson Road, North Shore; 10:30 am & 6:30pm; Wed 7pm, seats 350'.
  4. Major William Hinksman gave the Trustees a gift of the land adjoining the site. A new Trust was formed on 29 December 1899 with the intention of building a new Church and school, utilising the whole of the land.
  5. Foundation Stones were officially laid on 4 April 1906 by Alderman Joseph Heap J.P., Mrs. Farrar, Mr. R. Hughes, Mr. W. Robinson, Rev. H.R. Glanville, and Mr. Wm. Thompson J.P.
  6. Mrs. Wm. Thompson opened the Church on 24 April 1907, in the presence of Rev. Albert Clayton, the president of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. The Church had been built by Messrs. S. Butterworth & Sons Ltd, the architect, a Mr. George Payton of Birmingham. It was built in red brick, with ashlar dressings, an octagonal tower and a 4-bay nave.
  7. Kelly’s Directory (Lancashire), page 194, details 'The Unitarian Chapel in Dickson Road, North Shore, is an edifice in the Gothic style, built in 1883 and will seat 280 persons.'
  8. The Church became a Statutory Grade 2 Listed Building on 27 August 1998.
  9. The Church closed on 30 September 2018.
Back to index page